Yes, the water really is that color. I didn't Photoshop this at all.
Jasson and I arrived in a small beach town called Hokitika. When we checked into our hostel we met our roommates, two lovely girls from the UK. We hit it off with them pretty quickly, and decided that the next day we would all drive up to Hokitika Gorge together.
"It's too cold for swimming," I said, which Jasson seemed to take as a personal challenge. He changed into his swimsuit and plunged into the water.
(Note to self: in the future, use the phrases "There's no way you can vacuum the living room! It's impossible! No one can!")
When he emerged his breathing was wheezing and labored. "It's so cold!" he declared.
He didn't stay in the water long. I can't believe he went in at all.
Back in Hokitika, Jasson had the idea to ask our hostel manager if we could use her BBQ for hamburgers. She suggested that everyone could pitch in a few bucks for a group dinner. We thought that was a great idea, and our roommates were really excited too. We bought hamburgers, corn and salad, and a girl from Germany offered to make couscous.
All in all, eight people joined in, and a great feast was had.
In the evening we started a bonfire on the beach and toasted marshmellows!!!!
"This is definitely one of my top 10 New Zealand experiences," Sarah said, and I agreed. Just look at my face.
Not just because of the toasted marshmellows, although they were amazing, but because of the good company. A few residents at the hostel came to enjoy the bonfire, and we talked about travel until late at night.













A superlative day!
ReplyDelete