Saturday, November 22, 2014

We Hike Up a Volcano; Jasson Eats a Burrito


Yesterday our b&b hosts told us that they would have a farmer's market booth in Tauranga, a beach town about an hour's drive away. We decided we would stop by and check out the town.

To get there we had to drive over the Kaimai mountain range. On Google maps it didn't look so bad. But as we approached the mountain, we started seeing ominous signs.

HAVE A SAFE TRIP OVER THE KAIMAI RANGE (police car parked just beneath the sign)

SLOW DOWN. STAY IN CONTROL.

CONCENTRATE. WANDERING MINDS CAUSE CRASHES.

The road up the mountain became very curvy, and quite quickly we were enveloped in a thick fog that significantly reduced visibility. I was gripping the edge of my seat and Jasson was gripping the steering wheel.

SLOW DOWN FOR THESE BENDS.

"This farmer's market had better be amazing," he said through gritted teeth.

TOO FAST DOWN THIS HILL CAN KILL.

I suggested that we turn around, but before long we were heading down the mountain and the fog was clearing, and we could breathe again. I was mildly surprised to find that I hadn't peed my pants.

The farmer's market was just like American farmer's markets, complete with a bluegrass band. I did what I normally do at farmer's markets, which is shamelessly nibble on the free samples at every booth.



Jasson got a burrito, because he is a burrito aficionado. I asked him to rate it on a scale of 1-10.

Jasson: I've never tasted a burrito like this before. This isn't a Mexican burrito; it's a New Zealand burrito. So it can't be compared to the burritos on California; it needs an entirely different class. Like how men cyclists and women cyclists have to be rated in different classes. And this is the first New Zealand burrito I've ever had, so I have nothing to compare it to. So it is by default both the best and worst burrito. That being said, it's very good. I mean they cooked the steak right in front of me, and it just melted in my mouth. The roasted salsa was amazing. I would put that salsa on all burritos if I could. If I could take this steak and this salsa and put it in a burrito from from burrito shack in Los Molinos-

Me: That would be a 10?

Jasson: That could quite possibly be a 10.


Next we went to Mount Maunganui, which is an extinct volcano.


You see this thing? WE WALKED ALL THE WAY UP TO THE TOP OF IT. The trip was very beautiful, which gorgeous views of sandy beaches and turquoise water.




Then it started to get steep. It just kept going up...



And up...


And up...


And up...


And up...


Finally we made it to the summit, very sweaty and tired.




I was surprised to see a few families with small children running around up there. Did those kids walk the whole way? If so, I'm in worse shape than I thought.

Back at the bottom, there was a boardwalk-like area along the beach. We bought a milkshake to reward ourselves for completing our hike and give ourselves courage for the trip back over the mountain. By this time the fog had burned off the mountain so the drive was merely nerve-wracking rather than pants-wettingly terrifying.

When we got back to our guest house, we passed out on the bed for about 2 hours.

2 comments:

  1. A riveting account of tourist determination and discovery. Bring back one of those burritos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, riveting. Looks absolutely gorgeous. You're seeing parts of the world I'll probably never see! Don't bring me a burrito, please.

    ReplyDelete